Services implementation: FDSNWS
|Service interface||Version||Summary||Return options|
metadata for time series stored in SEED format
time series data in miniSEED and other formats
contributed earthquake origin and magnitude estimates
The IRIS Data Management Center’s web services provide FDSN compliant access to a variety of information, including data and metadata from the IRIS DMC databases. FDSN Specifications can be found here
Web services can be accessed in a number of different ways:
- Small requests can be handled through your browser.
- Dedicated clients are available for making more complex or larger queries.
- Various schemas are available for download.
- Automated or scripted requests can be made using programs such as http://wget or http://curl.
- A Java API is available for Java and MATLAB users.
A http://webservices mailing list (with archive) is available. Users of these services are encouraged to sign up for the mailing list to receive announcements of services changes and interruptions, beta releases and to take part in discussions related to the services or ask for help.
For some additional background please read our newsletter article.
Real time data
All open data arriving in (near) real time at the IRIS DMC are available from the DMC’s SeedLink server.
The web services should not be used to retrieve continuous, real time data via repeated polling. Instead, the SeedLink server should be used when continuous data streams are needed.